Craze for “Vaastu mileko ghar” is increasing among House Buyers and in designing their home. Vaastu Shastra or the “science of architecture” has been employed in India through ages while preparing a construction site, designing, and deciding on the spatial arrangement of a house. This science is followed to preserve the right amount of energy in the home and to usher in peace, prosperity and good luck. It is believed that a Vaastu Non-Compliant home will cause social losses, monetary hassles and medical troubles. Vaastu enhances positive and eliminates negative energies, hence once you do vastu for your home, you can then rest assured that you, your family and your home are always shielded from such terrible negative forces of the world. Vaastu not only deals with the position, layout or direction of each room, it also advises you on the most desirable use of colors and decorative elements. In Kathmandu where a perfect parcel of land is so rare to come by, to manage all aspects of Vaastu in a house is not always possible. However here are few tips which can come into handy for new house owners, designers and builders alike.
- Sun is the ultimate source of light and energy so the entrance of your house should be ideally towards the east, the direction in which the sun rises. In case your entrance is already built in some other direction, you can create a large window towards the east to address this issue.
- For peaceful sleep, the southwest corner is considered to be most auspicious. Master Bedroom should be placed in the Southwest corner. The bed should be placed in the south, east or west corner, but never towards the north. North East and South East corners are not good for bedrooms. East is ideal for children, West for study and Northwest for Newlyweds. Browns and greens colors should be picked to make your bedroom lively and earthy.
- Water elements like washrooms, pools, ponds or even an RO water filtration unit can be placed in the northern corner of your house. This will ensure steady financial growth. If you don’t have a strictly northern corner, go for the northeast corner.
- Indoor greenery adds freshness and liveliness to the interiors of a home. But if the seeds are being planted during the construction phase, seeds which don’t produce milk should be chosen. Such plants can disrupt the peace in your home. Peace lilies, money plants or bamboos are ideal.
- Kitchen should ideally be in the southeast corner, and cooking should be done while facing east. kitchen in front of the main entrance should be avoided entirely.
- Head of the family should face East while eating while other members can face north, east or west. The dining chairs should be even in number to avoid disputes among family members. A big mirror on the North or Northeast wall will attract wealth and prosperity.
- Northwest is ideal for a living room. If not, North and Northeast are okay but not with Southwest, North or East Entrance. Placing furniture like chairs, tables or sofas in a way that blocks doors or windows in your living room will obstruct the flow of energy and is not desired. Living space has to be airy and have appropriate room size so that you can chat with your family and friends comfortably. White or light green is a good color for living room. Dark shades should only be applied on east wall. Beams are undesired in living room or any other rooms.
- As per vastu for home construction, exposed ceiling beams can cause depression, arguments and disharmony. So simply avoid them to maintain tranquility.
- Some space in the north-east corner of the drawing room should be kept free, it should remain clean and clutter-free. The tranquility of this space can be increased by placing a few potted plants.
- Colors for each room should be picked with care, since they can have a significant positive or negative impact on your mood. Blues, yellows, greens and whites are recommended usually by Vastu experts.
- Wooden furniture preferably in regular shapes like square or rectangle and in average sizes can bring peace and order in your house as per norms of vastu dimensions. Centre of the house should always be left empty or with very light furniture.
- Dirty windows and doors can hamper the flow of wealth into your home. So, they are to be kept clean.
- All doors and especially the entrance door should open at 90 degrees, according to Vaastu. This way, positive energy can enter your house effortlessly and generously. Placing anything behind the doors should be avoided so that there’s no obstruction.
- Square is the best shape for a room since it ensures harmony and balance. Rectangular rooms are auspicious too, but L-shaped or T-shaped rooms can be harmful. Rooms in irregular shapes can usher in many worries or even poverty. Octagonal rooms can harm your finances, while triangular rooms can stop you from progressing.
- Bathrooms/Toilets should be avoided on the North side especially Northeast corner of the house.
- Purple color represents wealth, so painting the walls of the house should be beneficial. If not money plant in a purple-colored pot can be a good substitute.
- Cash locker should open towards North side the direction of Kuber, also keeping a mirror right in front of your locker, so it is reflected in the mirror will attract wealth.
- Tulsi plant in the Northeast direction will transform negative energy into positive energy. Cactus plant inside the house should be avoided.
These few tips will surely enhance your house although fully vastu compliant house might not always be possible. In many cases, following the Vastu suggestions is tedious, impractical and impossible sometimes. These suggestions are more of guidelines rather than “do-or-die” rules.